Hello again pals! Can I call you my pals? I probably know most of you who read my blog, but if you’re not from British shores and you regularly read my blog then thanks a million! You are most definitely, subjectively but genuinely my ‘pals’. I love the word pals, more people need to start using it. I feel very ‘Aisling Bea’ when I say pals and lads, what a woman she is. She’s a fashionista. And apparently, so am I. Lol. Thanks to Jess, a girl who I met just a month ago, she’s called me the ‘future face of journalism’. I don’t know how true this is, but it’s an honour that I will take and I’ll put into my Twitter bio. Still looking for that elusive job. Who can help me out?
Right, so this ‘Fashionista Award’ may sound super hipster, as in ‘what bindi do you wear to the beach and what one would you wear to a festival?’ but it’s not. In reality, it’s just 10 simple questions and then I’ll nominate someone whom I want to answer the same 10 questions. It’s very similar to the Liebster Award post I did a few blogposts ago, and hopefully you’ll find my answers mildly entertaining. Entertaining enough to earn a solid 3 out of 5 stars review should I be performing at the Edinburgh Fringe.
Now, buckle up and read on and see how Sophie – a girl who has a room’s worth of clothes (it’s a bad issue and I’m not even a hoarder, I promise) tries to answer a few questions, some of which are fashion based.
What motivated you to start blogging?
I’d always wanted to start blogging for quite a while, but never knew when to start. I was also torn as to whether to make my blog a themed blog, or whether to be just ramblings of my life. In hindsight, I’m so glad that I went with the latter, as it means I have so much more to post. As you can see, I post my opinions, reviews, sometimes give advice which I hope can be helpful and discuss some little pointers about university. As I’m on my summer break, I haven’t done that in a while, but when I start my second year, I’ll be doing weekly updates on all my modules and you can (hopefully) track my progress. If I was to do a themed blog, I’d do a musical-theatre/comedy based blog… look, even then I can’t exactly make my mind up. I blog as a release to get away from the idea that everything I write must be constrained by word limits and topics that someone else has set me. Read my first post and comment if you think my writing style has improved! Also, I hope that a potential employer picks up this blog and employs me. That’s the dream.
School of Rock is most definitely my number one movie of all time, as I described in the Liebster Award post. However, other films I really enjoy are musical or childhood based: Mamma Mia, Hairspray, Les Mis, Polar Express, Up!, Frozen, the Pitch Perfect films. My mum wants me to watch Shawshank Redemption which is on my Netflix list! Plus, I have another reason to as my friend from theatre school is in the stage adaptation that is touring the UK? Madness.
What is your dream career?
I’d love to be many, many things, just like a one man band. Except, I hope I’m not as annoying. I’d like to be:
- Working as a BBC employee, whether it be in Talent, Comedy, Documentary, World Services. I could be a researcher, in a communications department, in public relations or the press office. I don’t really have a set career, but I have a set employer? Is anyone else like that?
- Working for a magazine; I’d love to work for BBC History as then I could constantly learn and use all the skills that I’m picking up on my degree. On the other hand, I’d love to work for a gossip-style magazine such as Heat. I’m always keeping up to date with celebrity news and gossip, so I could use those stalking skills to good use.
- Singing and highkicking on a West End stage like a Strallen, or maybe falling over like a Madge. Sorry, Rob.
Top wish list items at the moment?
Difficult one, as I’m so needy. Does a boyfriend count? I’M JOKING. No, seriously, I’d love these things, and if anyone wants to send me money to buy these things, I’ll forever be your friend.
- Urban Decay Naked 3 Palette.
- A Premier Inn room for the whole of the Edinburgh Fringe.
- A job. Again, who would like to help me with that?
- A Louis Vuitton bag.
- MAC Makeup. Mum stated I need good makeup, but how I can do that when I have no money because I have no job. These are the dilemmas I am facing.
- A pair of Blackmilk leggings.
- A Timeturner.
Favourite television shows?
I pretty much just watch comedy shows. Mock The Week, Have I Got News For You, Russell Howard’s Good News, QI. I LOVE Gossip Girl and am in the early, early stages of writing a Gossip Girl based musical! OITNB is great, and Taylor Schilling was an inspiration for my new do. I also watch Hair, Great British Bake Off, Strictly, The Apprentice. As a child though, it was all about Takeshi’s Castle. I also loved ANTM but now it has lost its spark. Celia was so great, as was Caridee and Jael and Sandra and Nicole who now models for Boohoo? But, whenever Katherine Ryan is on my TV, I watch it.
What store do you find yourself shopping in the most?
Cheap and cheerful is my style. So, Primark, H&M and New Look are my shops. Whenever there’s one about, I really enjoy Forever 21 and I want there to be more! Online, I’ll look at Boohoo, ASOS, Chi-Chi and I love Frock and Frill. My style is I look in Topshop for the trends and then find the styles in Primark where items of clothing are 25% of the original Topshop price.
Favourite fashion designers?
Whoever made the Elsa dress for Chi-Chi. I like Kate Spade stuff, but do I have the money? I did use to have a delightful Matthew Williamson dress from Debenhams that was delightful, but I’m not exactly clued up on my designers. Can I say Adore Delano from Rupaul’s Drag Race?
Describe your dream vacation?
New York, walking down Broadway, breathing in the (what I imagine to be) air of yellow taxi cabs, sweat from professional performers and hundreds of different languages all around me, hustling and bustling to get to the next Subway stop. One day, this will happen and I’ll get the Instagram photo to prove it.
What are the goals for your blog?
I want my blog to get bigger and bigger and get noticed by someone who can catapult my blog even further. Someone from my school is now a really successful Youtuber (OliWhiteTV, or Oli White known to you and me) so why can’t it happen. I WANT SUCCESS TOO.
If you had the opportunity to interview a celebrity, who would it be?
Well, one of my pals Becca gets to do this all the time, and read her blog now because it’s so, so great and she’s a 17 year old from the Midlands who will actually go far. I can’t wait to see her career develop. But if I had the chance, I’d want to interview so many so here is a list, and it’s pretty eclectic:
- Josh Widdicombe (in my opinion, the cutest comedian who resembles a puppy dog constantly looking for treats, just too cute).
- Bruce Forsyth (what a career!)
- Sara Pascoe (why are you so funny and so talented and intelligent and great?)
- Colleen Ballinger (I ask her questions for Colleen’s Corner but am never noticed!)
- Timmy Mallett (weird, but we do the same degree so I’d like to know if he ever used it and how much History at Warwick has changed).
- Charles II (history nerd is striking through, but what was the Monarchy Restoration really like? Was he as much of a party king as Horrible Histories makes him out to be).
So there we go, the Fashionista Award est complete. I’d love to pass the honour on to someone who I follow on Instagram and is actually a fashionista. Holly is gorgeous, and actually has a fashion blog! She’s the perfect candidate for this, so have fun Holly! And to close out this post, I’m gonna use a RuPaul classic cause YOU BETTER WORK. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vw9LOrHU8JI